Air hostess is one of the sexiest jobs out there. It is as well, a dream job for many individuals. This profession not only pays well, in addition, but you also get to visit a different location as well. There is a huge competition in this profession and is not an easy job.
It is a profession of immense responsibility.
In this article, we have discussed all the basic things you need to know if you want Air Hostess as a career option in the future and how to get yourself in tune to crack this job.
How to become an Air Hostess?
Following are the skills and attributes you should have to become an air hostess:
- Sense of responsibility – If you want to become an air hostess you should understand the sense of responsibility. In your job, you should be responsible and disciplined.
- Soothing Personality – You should possess a soothing personality in order to become an air hostess. You should be polite and soft-spoken towards the passengers, which is very important.
- Good Physique – It is quite obvious that you should have a good physique as it makes you more attractive which is important to be an air hostess of any airlines.
- Good Appearance – If you thinking of becoming an air hostess then you need to have a very good and appealing appearance. It leaves a lasting impression on the passengers which is definitely a pro.
- Presence of mind and initiative – Before becoming an air hostess to will be put through an extensive training period. Your presence of mind and initiative approach towards any given situation In this period.
- The systematic approach towards duty – You need to have a very clear and systematic approach towards your duty. It will help you during an emergency(Eg: emergency landing).
- Hard working – You need to be very hard working if you want to become an air hostess. You need to sleep at odd hours and wake at odd hours, sometimes the work-life balance is a bit difficult to maintain.
- Language proficiency – You need to have mastery in languages in order to become an air hostess. Primarily English is important and also other foreign languages depending upon the airlines(international) that you may serve in.
- Communication and Interactive skills – It is a must-have attribute to become an air hostess. You really need to possess very good communicative skills as it is very important to deal with a wide variety of passengers.
- Team spirit – It is a very important feature that you need to develop over time for becoming an air hostess. You always need to work as a team and should have good coordination with all the team members.
- Positive attitude – For an air hostess some situations can be a bit difficult to handle, but you always need to have a positive attitude towards your work. It will help you in understanding the situation in a better way and work accordingly.
Eligibility/Qualifications Required to become an Air Hostess
- Flight attendants receive training from their employer and must be certified by the Federal Aviation Administration(FAA)(www.faa.gov). In order to become a stewardess, you need to have a high school diploma or the equivalent. Sometimes airlines may prefer to hire applicants who have taken some college courses.
- Applicants must be at least 18 years of age to work, in the US as a flight attendant, need to have a valid passport and you also need to pass a background check and drug test. You must have an eye vision of at least 20/40. Flight attendants also need to pass a medical examination.
- There are usually a large number of additional requirements related to age and physical conditions for various positions. Airlines often have restrictions related to height, weight, a certain age. Moreover, airlines place high standards on physical appearance, hygiene, and grooming. They also conduct special medical screening and background checks of prospective hires.
According to BLS(U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics), after completing the screening process and being hired the airlines provide training in all aspects of the job including customer service,pre-flight procedure, in-flight service, safety and security procedures, federal regulations. Training programs can take up to eight weeks to complete.
In the United States, the Federal Aviation Administration requires flight attendants of aircraft with 20 or more seats and used by an air carrier for transportation to hold a Certificate of Demonstrated Proficiency.it shows that a level of required training has been met. It is not limited to the air carrier at which the attendant is employed and it is the attendant’s personal property.
Air Hostess Job opportunities
If you are really thinking about pursuing your career as an air hostess/flight attendant then you should be able to cater to the needs of the eligibility of becoming a flight attendant.
Though a high school diploma is a minimum requirement, airlines favor candidates with degrees that might facilitate customer service, such as communication, psychology, consumer behavior.
For the applicants who want a competitive edge over others, a certificate or an associate degree program concentrated in flight attendant training is also available. Similarly, students in such a program may take up various courses in crew emergency management, airline operations, and aviation safety.
Competition for jobs in this field can be very high. Airlines regularly receive tens and thousands of applications. Job prospects should be best for applicants with a college degree particularly in communication and customer service.
Airlines post open flight attendant positions on their websites and you can apply for these jobs online. For instance, some airlines, such as, Delta allow you to build an online profile in addition so that you can be suitably matched with openings that fit your experience, location, interest, and skills.
Some training schools are associated with some airlines who may seek out prospective candidates at these schools so as to interview for job positions.
Future of the Job
The BLS has predicted that air hostesses employment will increase by 2% from 2014 all the way to 2024 because of the stipulations set forth by the union contracts and economic difficulties. They use to earn $44.860 as a median annual salary in 2015. Therefore, an entry-level flight attendant can expect to make somewhere between $15,000 to $25,000 per year, whereas, an experienced stewardess can expect to earn $50,000 or more.
Top 10 Air Hostess Interview Questions
- What do you know about our airline?
- Why do you want to work for our airline?
- Where do you see yourself in five years?
- What are your strengths?
- Do you prefer working alone or as part of a team?
- Have you ever dealt with a colleague who wasn’t pulling their weight? How did you handle it?
- Recall a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer. How did you resolve the issue?
- What are your hobbies?
- How will you handle being away from family and friends?
- Are you applying for vacancies at other airlines?
Top Flight Attendant Colleges
Looking for the Best College for Air Hostess? Well, here are some;
|College/University||Location||Institution Type||Degrees Offered||Tuition and Fees 2018-2019|
|Glendale Community College||Glendale, CA||2-year, Public||Certificate, Associate’s||$1,175 in-state, $5,855 out-of-state|
|Community College of Baltimore County||Baltimore, MD||2-year, Public||Certificate||$3,712 in-district, $6,650 in-state, $9,718 out-of-state|
|Moraine Valley Community College||Palos Hills, IL||2-year, Public||Certificate, Associate’s||$3,996 in-district, $8,916 in-state, $10,326 out-of-state|
|Orange Coast College||Costa Mesa, CA||2-year, Public||Certificate||$1,184 in-state, $6,584 out-of-state|
|Gwinnett Technical College||Lawrenceville, GA||2-year, Public||Certificate||$2,796 in-state, $4,932 out-of-state|
|Ball State University||Muncie, IN||4-year, Public||Bachelor’s||$9,498 in-state, $25,016 out-of-state|
|Liberty University||Lynchburg, VA||4-year, Private not-for-profit||Associate’s||$20,109|
|International Air and Hospitality Academy||Vancouver, WA||< 2 years, Private for-profit||Certificate||$8,025|
Source: National Center for Education Statistics
Salaries of Air Hostesses in the US
American Express Flight Attendant
$69,000 per year
US Airways Flight Attendant
$30,965 per year
Envoy Air Flight Attendant
$24,420 per year
Alaska Airlines Flight Attendant
$56,766 per year
Express Jet Airlines Flight Attendant
$37,520 per year
In conclusion, the Air hostess is a really great career option in today’s world. It is a great option now and as well will be in future times. However, you should work really hard in order to become an Air hostess and progress in this career.
In other words, there are several requirements of becoming an air hostess as discussed above. In addition, to the educational qualification, you should as well fulfill the miscellaneous requirements.